Sunday, May 3, 2009

It's been a while since I have posted. Hopefully I won't have another stretch like this again. Anyway, nothing major to discuss today. I will just catch you up on some small developments since I have last posted.

Knob Creek Bourbon-Blitz Special Edition

The folks at Knob Creek (Jim Beam) have a fun little feature available to fans of their bourbon. You can order a custom label from them to affix to your own bottle. I ordered one a few weeks ago and it arrived recently. I just got one for my personal use, but I can imagine there a many fun uses for this, such as groomsman gifts, reunions, golf trip commemorative, etc. Here is mine:

New Bourbon Acquisitions
I picked up a couple of bottles in the last two weeks. First I got a bottle of Old Grandad 114. Most people don't know this, but Old Grandad is a Jim Beam Product. I don't know the exact history, but it's a product they picked up in an acquisition sometime in the past. First of all, it's 114 proof, so a little ice or water is in order. I gotta tell you, I love this bourbon. It has quickly jumped to my top five, and when you add that this is only about $25 a bottle, it's an outstanding value. I already know that I have an affinity for the Jim Beam products, but this one is giving Knob Creek a run for its money. I really recommend this whiskey.



I also picked up a bottle of Weller 12. This is from Buffalo Trace distillery, which is my other favorite distillery with Jim Beam. It's a 'wheater', so it is smoother than some of the 'rye' type bourbons, which makes it a good choice for the newer bourbon drinker. It's also aged 12 years, which adds to it's smoothness. I have heard people refer to this as the 'ultimate' wheated bourbon, because it is aged longer than the more popular 'Makers Mark', but it doesn't have the price tag of the Pappy Van Winkle 15 or 20 year old bourbons. It's very good and I am sure I will enjoy this bottle, but I must say from sampling this bourbon, and other 'wheat' bourbons recently, that I have conlcuded that I am more of a 'rye' guy. I like to bite of 'rye' bourbons a little more than the smoothness of the 'wheated' bourbons.

1 comment: