Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Binny's 'World of Whiskey'

I recently spent the evening at Binnys south loop (Chicago) store for their 'World of Whiskey' event. This was the day before "Whiskyfest", which takes place in the Hyatt Regency in downtown Chicago, and is an annual gathering of the whiskey industry hosted by Malt Advocate magazine. Basically, since everyone in the industry is already in town, Binnys conducts a mini version of "Whiskyfest" in their store. First of all, the Binnys south loop store is a ridiculous liquor store. It has bar in the store! A really nice bar, with large windows in the background to view the Chicago skyline. Anyway, it was a really fun evening. I got to try about 14 different whiskeys that I had never tried before. Also, I got to meet some whiskey industry celebrities. Below is a picture of me and John Hansell, Editor of Malt Advocate Magazine, and founder of 'Whiskyfest'.



I also had the privilege of meeting Jimmy Russell, Master Distiller for Wild Turkey. Jimmy is a legend in the industry, and the namesake for Russell's Reserve bourbon, a very fine whiskey.




Additionally, I spent some quality time with Dan Tullio and Tish Harcus of Canadian Club. They were both featured prominently in the television show "Modern Marvels" on the History Channel. It's always odd to meet someone after you have seen them on TV, but they were very fun, and Tish was kind enough to take a picture of me and John Hansell when I shoved my camera at her.
I also spent some time with George Stranahan, founder of Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey. I got to ask some questions about barrel aging with a guy who actually makes and ages whiskey. That was very cool.



I have told my story about 'World of Whiskey' to several people, and the accounting is similar to how I have told it in this blog entry. Usually by this point someone says:

"Wait a minute, you drank 14 whiskeys?"

Yes, and I drove home. But it's not like it sounds. First, these were small portions, half-shots in most cases. For the ones I didn't like, I didn't even finish the half-shot. Also, I used the full three hours of the event and spaced my tasting as far apart a possible, just visiting with people and walking around between drinks. Additionally, I had plenty of water, crackers and cheese between pours. I promise that I was not a menace to myself or anyone else.


In my next post, I will provide my notes for the whiskeys I tasted that night. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment